We have had unusually warm weather. It was above 70 degrees today... so we got our winter bones outside for some exercise, and bug/toad hunting.
We were curious about "balls" in the trees. We couldn't tell if they were wasp hives, caterpillar nests or what. Finally there was one low enough to knock down for further investigation.
Turns out they were birds nests made from grass and horse tail hair, plus a little orange plastic for good measure.
Walking back to the car I noticed a woman stopped to talk to Ari (who was carrying the nest in his bug net). At first I thought it was a kind encouraging adult ("oh, what have you got there?"). But when she passed by Lis and I and I saw the look on her face and the "Boulder" dress, I know the conversation had gone much differently. Dave said she was horrified and worried about the baby birds that Ari was killing. Please, it is just warming up, the birds will not be nesting for another month! Dave wishes to be as bold as a Wozny and to have really shocked the woman with a real zinger*. Maybe next time...
*Yep, a whole bunch of baby birds to feed to his pet snake.
*Yep, a whole bunch of baby birds to feed to his pet snake.


